- Join Now
Languages and Translation
Languages and Translation
Digital workplaces support displaying content in multiple languages. When multiple languages are enabled, one acts as the workplace's default language. This default language is typically the primary language used by an organization.
Users can select from a workplace's available languages the one that they would prefer content displayed in. The workplace always tries to display content in a User’s preferred language. However, displaying content in multiple languages relies on creators providing translated versions of their content.
The following languages can be enabled for a digital workplace:
- Brazilian Portuguese (pb)
- Catalan (ca)
- Chinese: Simplified (zh)
- Chinese: Traditional (zh-hant)
- English (en)
- French (fr)
- German (de)
- Italian (it)
- Japanese (ja)
- Russian (ru)
- Spanish: Latin America (el)
- Spanish (es)
Visit the Igloo Marketplace to add additional language support to your digital workplace.
The Userbar contains a language selector when there are multiple languages available. Users can select what language a workplace displays in by clicking the current display language and then selecting a language from the list. Only available languages will appear as options in the selection list. After selecting a language, all Igloo system text and content will display in the selected language. The following conditions could lead to content, but not Igloo System text, being displayed in a different language:
- If the content is not available in the selected language, the workplace will attempt to display content using the default workplace language.
- If the content is not available in the default workplace language or the user's selected language, content will be displayed in the only language that it has been created with.
Note: These conditions also apply to the language of text used in email notifications.
Igloo system text displays in a user's preferred language. For other text to display using the selected language, content creators and administrators must provide the translation. This includes translations for:
- Content on Blog, Wiki and Forum Channels
- Titles of Pages, Spaces, and Channels
- Labels and Label Categories
- Title and description fields of Widgets
- Custom search text of the Search Box Widget
- Custom button text of the Add Button Widget
- Title, secondary, and link fields of the Call to Action Widget
- Link and Group title text of the Links Widget
Blogs, Wikis, and Forums provide an option to convert text with google translate. This provides a quick way of making content available in another language. However, consider having a translator review the translated text for accuracy. Using this translation method will add a "Verify Translation" checkbox next translated fields which can aid in a review process. Once this box has been checked, and the content saved, it will no longer appear in future edits of the content.
Text fields that support translation will have a language selector located next to them. Select a language from the list of options and then enter the translated text for that language.
Content translation example
Page, Space, and Channel translation example
Widget translation example
Viewed 1,864 times