Use the Birthday widget to display members' birthdays. When configuring this widget, use the timeframe and group filter options to control whose birthdays it shows.
Go to one of the following sections in this article:
Considerations and caveats
The Birthday widget uses the data stored in a member's birthdate field (Birthday on the profile page). If this field is empty or does not have privacy settings set for others to view, the member will not appear in the widget. Dates must use the format yyyy-mm-dd.
The Birthday widget orders birthdays by their date, with birthdays near the current date at the top. Birthdays occurring on the same day are ordered alphabetically by the member's first name.
By default, the profile photos in the Birthday widget are square and are not impacted by the Avatar setting found in Global Settings.
Setting it up
You can place the Birthday widget on pages, spaces, and dashboards, and it functions well in each column layout. To configure the Birthday widget, you must first place it on a page.
These options are available on the Content tab of the widget:
- Title: Enter a title for the widget. The title appears as a heading above the widget's contents. You should use the title to give users an idea of why the widget's content is important to them or highlight the content's purpose. Titles also serve to better structure the content of a page by clearly denoting different sections. When entering a title, you do so only for your currently selected language. If your digital workplace supports multiple languages, you should select Translation and enter a title for each supported language.
- Description: Enter a description for the widget. The description appears between the title and the widget's contents. You can use this text to provide additional context to the widget or instructions for using the widget. When entering a description, you do so only for your currently selected language. If your digital workplace supports multiple languages, you should selectTranslation and enter a description for each supported language.
- Timeframe (Required): Select which timeframe the widget uses. Only birthdays that occur within the timeframe that you select will display in the widget. Options include:
- Today (display birthdays that occur on the current day)
- Upcoming (display birthdays that occur in the next 30 days)
- Today & Upcoming (select both options)
- Number of results (Required): Enter the maximum number of birthdays to display. You must enter a value between 1 and 99. If there are additional birthdays to display, users can click View more found at the bottom of the feed to open a popup window showing all birthdays within the selected Timeframe.
- Groups: From all groups in the digital workplace, select which to filter by. The widget will only display the birthdays of users who are members of these groups. To select a group, locate it using the dropdown or search for it by name and then select it. You can add multiple groups to the filter. To de-select a group, select the X next to its name. Leaving this field blank results in the widget showing every birthday within the configured timeframe.
These options are available on the Layout tab of the widget:
- Layout options: Select how members are shown in the widget. Options include:
- Stacked: Show users with their name and birthdate next to their profile picture.
- Card: Show users in square cards and their name and birthdate below their profile picture.
- Banner options: Select the type of banner that appears above the widget. Options include:
- No banner: Don't show any confetti styling.
- Confetti: Show a confetti banner above the widget (when the Layout is Stacked) or in the upper portion of each card (when Layout is Card).
After making changes to any of the settings, you must click Save to apply your widget changes. If you want to discard your changes, click Cancel.
If you have not made any changes, you can close the settings window by clicking outside the window or clicking the X in the window's upper right corner. If you have made changes, clicking outside the window will not close it. Instead, a message will appear at the bottom of the settings window prompting you to Save or Cancel your changes.
To configure additional appearance options for this widget, see Styling the Birthday widget.
Users will see every birthday that meets the configured group filter and timeframe values, regardless of their own group affiliation. While viewing the widget, users can:
- Click on a member's name or profile image to go to their profile page.
- Click View more to display all birthdays that fall with the timeframe of the widget. This action opens up a new window on the current page that you can exit by clicking the X in the window's upper right corner or clicking anywhere outside the window.
Display option examples
Stacked layout with no banner
Stacked layout with confetti banner
Card layout with no banner
Card layout with confetti banner
- 1,573 views
- 3 previews
- 16 versions
- 0 comments
- 1 follower
- Updated By:
- Jesse Langstaff
- February 13, 2023
- Posted By:
- Jesse Langstaff
- February 25, 2021