What is it?
Subscriptions provide a way for digital workplace members to receive recurring updates on content. Administrators can create subscriptions for groups while members can create subscriptions by following content. Subscription updates are sent as email notifications. The frequency of notifications can be set to instant, daily, weekly, or monthly. Only channels and their content can be subscribed to.
Features and functionality
Actions that cause subscription notifications
Channel Subscriptions: New content is added to the Channel.
Content Subscription: Content is edited, versioned, moved, or commented on.
Frequency of subscription notifications
- Instant: Immediately.
- Daily: 7:00am ET every day.
- Weekly: Seven days after the first weekly update. This notification will contain all other weekly subscriptions that had updates during this period.
- Monthly: Thirty days after the first monthly update. This notification will contain all other monthly subscriptions that had updates during this period.
How Administrators interact with subscriptions
- Site Administrators: Can subscribe groups to channels and content located anywhere within the digital workplace. They can also access the Manage Groups page from the administrator control panel to manage existing subscriptions of any group within the digital workplace.
- Space Administrators: Can subscribe groups to channels and content located within their space.
- Manage Member Groups Roles: Can subscribe groups to any channels and content where they also have at least Edit level of access. They can also access the Manage Groups page from the administrator control panel to manage existing subscriptions of any group within the digital workplace.
Subscribing groups to content
Every channel and content type has their own unique Subscriptions pages. Administrators can use this page to subscribe groups to receive notifications. The Subscriptions page can be found by clicking a channel’s or content’s Action Button, and then selecting Subscriptions from the menu. On this page all digital workplace groups will be displayed. Click Instant, Daily, Weekly or Monthly next to a group to subscribe its members to the channel or content at that notification frequency.
Click the number found next to a group’s name to view who is in that group.
At the top of a channel’s Subscriptions page is an option that controls auto-following content. This option can interact with a member’s personal auto-follow setting in the following ways:
- Channel Auto-Follow is On, and Personal Auto Follow is Off: The member will not Auto-Follow content they create or comment on.
- Channel Auto-Follow is Off, and Personal Auto Follow is On: The member will not Auto-Follow content they create or comment on.
The Manage Subscriptions page can be found by opening the Administrator Control Panel, selecting Manage Groups, clicking the action button next to a group, and then selecting Subscriptions from the menu. A group’s subscriptions can be managed by clicking the action button associated with the subscription and then selecting a new frequency.
Group subscriptions can also be changed or removed directly on the Subscriptions page of a channel or content. Click Instant, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Never next to a group to change its subscription frequency.
How members interact with subscriptions
Subscribing to content
Digital workplace members can subscribe and unsubscribe from channels and content by clicking the Follow button. This button can be found on the channel’s or content’s right information panel, or by clicking the Follow button found at the bottom of the page. The Follow button found at the bottom of a page gives members the ability to set the frequency of the subscription and access to their profile subscription page.
The Subscriptions page is found by clicking the member name on the userbar, and then selecting Subscriptions from the menu. This page contain a sortable list of all your current Subscriptions. Subscriptions can be sorted by:
- Date subscribed
Click the frequency button of a subscription to change that subscription’s frequency.
From this page a member can turn on or off whether they are automatically subscribed to content they create or comment on. However, this change will only apply to newly created content.
How to subscribe a group to a Channel
Only Site Administrators, Space Administrators, and members with the Manage Member Groups Role can subscribe a group to a Channel. Space Administrators can only subscribe groups to content and channels located within their space, while those with Roles are restricted to where they can have at least Edit level of access.
1. Navigate to the Channel
Navigate to the Channel in your digital workplace where you would like to subscribe a group to receive notifications for new content.
2. Navigate to the Channel’s Subscriptions page
While on the Channel click its Action Button, then from the menu select Subscriptions.
3. Assign a subscription frequency to the desired group
Locate the group you would like to subscribe to the Channel. If you are unsure whether the group contains the people who you want to receive notifications, you can click the number next to the group name to view who is in that group. To create a subscription for the group, select one of the four frequencies next to the group. A subscription is created as soon as a frequency is selected.
How to unsubscribe from a subscription
1. Navigate to your profile’s Subscriptions page
On the Userbar located at the top of the page click your name. Select Subscriptions from the menu.
2. Select Never from the subscription’s Action Button
Find the subscription you would like to remove and click its current frequency. Select Never from the menu.