Recent Activity Widget
Use the Recent Activity Widget to display a feed of newly created content. Users can then click on content in the feed to go to it. When configuring the Widget, you can select from which Channels it displays content.
The feed only displays the last 30 days of activity.
What's in the feed
The Recent Activity widget shows the following actions if a corresponding Channel is connected as a source:
- New blog articles
- New calendar events
- New forum topics
- New files
- New file versions
- New wiki articles
- New wiki versions
These actions cause feed items to update:
- Changing the name of content will also update the name of the content in the feed.
- Deleting content will result in it being removed from the feed.
These actions have no effect on existing feed items:
- Archiving content. Archived content is not marked in the Widget.
- Moving content. Moved content stays in the feed even if it is moved to a Channel that is not a source for the widget. If the feed items Channel is being shown, it will still show the Channel or Folder that the content was published to.
Enter a title for the Widget. The title appears as a heading above the Widget's contents. You should use the title to provide users with an idea of why the Widget's content is important to them or to highlight the content's purpose. Titles also serve to better structure the content of a page by clearly denoting different sections.
When entering a title, you do so only for your currently selected language. If your digital workplace supports multiple languages, you should click the field's Translation button () and enter a title for each supported language.
Enter a description for the Widget. The description appears between the title and the Widget's contents. You can use this text to provide additional context to the Widget or instructions for using the Widget.
When entering a description, you do so only for your currently selected language. If your digital workplace supports multiple languages, you should click the field's Translation button () and enter a description for each supported language.
Select from which Channel(s) the Widget displays content. The Recent Activity Widget can connect to:
Access Rules determine what users will see when configuring and viewing the Widget:
- Users who are configuring this Widget will only see Channels to which they have at least Read Access. Users can still select Channels that they don't have Access to by selecting groups of Channels (see step 4 of "To add sources" below).
- Users who view the published Widget will only see content from a Channel if they have at least Read Access to that content.
To add sources:
- Click "add source(s)".
- Select the content-type tab that contains the Channel(s) you want to add.
- Search for a Channel by its name or a portion of its URL. This search will return up to 100 results and include the Pages and Spaces that contain a Channel that matches the search query.
- Select a Channel from the list of search results. In addition to selecting sources individually for a content-type, you can select groups of Channels:
- Select the All option to select all Channels of a content-type in your digital workplace.
- Select Pages or Spaces to select all Channels of a content-type below that location.
- Repeat this process until you have added all your sources, and then click Done.
To remove sources:
- Click "add source(s)".
- While on the Selected tab, unselect the source(s) that you want to remove.
- Click Done.
Select what Group's recent activity to display. Only activity from members of this group on the selected Source Channel(s) will display in the activity feed. You can only select one group.
To select a group:
- Click the Group Filter field.
- Search for the group by its name. This search will return up to 100 results.
- Select the group from the list of search results.
You can unselect a group by clicking the x next to it, or by selecting another group.
Only show followed content
Select to filter activity based on a User's subscriptions. Of the selected Source(s), only activity on Channels that a user is also following will display in the activity feed.
For Folder Channels, this only includes activity at the root of the Channel, and not activity in any nested Folders; regardless of whether the Folders are being followed. However, a file created at the root of a followed Channel and moved to a subfolder will still appear in the feed.
Number of results
Enter the maximum number of results to increment by, and to display initially. You must enter a value between 1 and 99. If there are additional items to display, users can click the Older Activity link found at the bottom of the feed to load additional results.
Select "Show follow icon" to add a Follow button () to the Widget. Users can click this button to subscribe to all Channels displayed in the Widget to which they have at least Read level Access.
Choose a layout
Select Default or Compact. The Compact option is best when placing the Widget in a smaller column.
Display the source (Space)
Select to show the Space location of the content type. Clicking the Space name will navigate to the Space.
Select to show the Channel location of the content type. Clicking the Channel name will navigate to the Channel.
Use the Class field to add custom CSS to this Widget.
Your digital workplace's CSS theme overrides other settings on this tab.
You can follow the standard Widget placement and set up steps for this Widget. You may find it helpful to leave this article open as a reference for what specific configuration settings do.