- Join Now
Folder Contents Widget
What is it?
This widget displays the files and sub-folders stored within a Folder channel. The different display options allow you to show as much or as little information as you would like.
Easy access to information people use most
The Folder Content widget can give people easy access to documentation that is important, frequently accessed, or buried deep in the digital workplace’s structure. This allows you to have a complex file structure that suits your organizational needs and still have a quick window into any part of that structure.
Features and functionality
When configuring the Folder Contents widget, you will have several options presented to you under three tabs:
- Title: Enter the text that you want to appear above the widget.
- Hyperlink title to source: Select this option to link the title of the widget to the location of the folder being displayed.
- Description: Enter a description that provides context about what is in the widget or how it should be used.
- Source: Select what channel to display in the widget.
- Include: Select what types of content display in the widget. Options include Folders and Documents, Folders Only, and Documents Only.
- Show hidden items: Select to have hidden objects display in the widget.
- Sort options: Select how objects in the widget are sorted. Sort by Title, Comments, Size, Type, Created by, Last modified, Modified by, Views, and Rating. Once you have selected what to sort by, select whether objects appear in an ascending or descending order.
- Number of results: Select the number of objects to display in the widget. Displaying fewer objects can save a little extra real estate on your page or space.
- Add files (show add link): Select to give users a convenient way to add files to the connected channel via the widget. Users require at least Write level access to add content to the channel.
There are a few different ways that you can change the layout and display various information about the files:
Provides the most information, options, and interaction.
Provides a clean and compact view of the names of files in a folder.
Provides a grid view with file types clearly presented as icons.
Displays a small image preview of the file contents where possible. It works well for galleries of images.
Customize your layout
You may have extra options for what information appears depending on the chosen layout. The Detail layout provides the most information and options.
The Appearance tab options are discussed in our article on Widgets.
How to add and edit the Folder Content widget
Best practices / Tips and tricks
Effective use of space
To save valuable real estate on your page or space, reduce the number of results shown in your widget and then hyperlink the folder to the Folder channel so members can access more if needed.
Viewed 1,741 times