Folder Contents Widget
What is it?
This widget displays the files and sub-folders stored within a Folder channel. The different display options allow you to show as much or as little information as you would like.
Options tab settings
Enter a title for the Widget. The title appears as a heading above the Widget's contents. You should use the title to provide users with an idea of why the Widget's content is important to them or to highlight the content's purpose. Titles also serve to better structure the content of a page by clearly denoting different sections.
When entering a title, you do so only for your currently selected language. If your digital workplace supports multiple languages, you should click the field's Translation button () and enter a title for each supported language.
Select to link the Widget's title to the selected Folder Channel or Folder. User's who click the Widget's title, if it has one, will go to this location.
Enter a description for the Widget. The description appears between the title and the Widget's contents. You can use this text to provide additional context to the Widget or instructions for using the Widget.
When entering a description, you do so only for your currently selected language. If your digital workplace supports multiple languages, you should click the field's Translation button () and enter a description for each supported language.
Select a Folder Channel or Folder. Content from this source will display in the Widget.
Access Rules determine what users will see when configuring and viewing the Widget:
- Users who are configuring this Widget will only see Folder Channels and Folders that meet both of these conditions:
- The user must have at least Read Access to the Folder Channel or Folder.
- The user must have at least Read Access to all locations above where the Folder Channel or Folder are nested.
- Only users who have Read Access or higher to the selected Folder Channel or Folder will see content in the published Widget. These users will only see content to which they have at least Read Access.
To select a Folder Channel or Folder:
- Click "No folder selected". If there is an existing source in this field, click it.
- Search for a Folder Channel or Folder by its name. This search will return up to 100 results and include the Pages and Spaces that contain a Folder or Folder Channel that matches the search query.
- Select a Folder Channel or Folder from the list of search results.
IncludeSelect the type of content to include in the Widget. Options include:
- Folder and Documents
- Folders only
- Documents only
Show hidden items
Select to show hidden Folders and Documents. Hidden items are otherwise only visible to users that have at least Edit Access.
Sort optionsSelect how to sort content in the Widget. Options include:
- Created by
- Last Modified
- Modified by
You can then select whether the sort order is ascending or descending.
Number of results
Enter the maximum number of results to increment by, and to display initially. You must enter a value between 1 and 99. If there are additional items to display, users can click the View All link found at the bottom of the Widget to go to the source Folder Channel or Folder.
Show add link
Select to add an "Upload a file" button to the Widget. Only users with at least Write Access to the connected Folder Channel or Folder can see this button. These users can click this button to add content to the connected Folder Channel or Folder.
Layout tab settings
There are a few different ways that you can change the layout and display various information about the files:
Choose a layout
Select one of the following layouts:
- Detail: Provides the most information, options, and interaction.
- List: Provides a clean and compact view of files and folders.
- Tile: Provides a grid view with file types clearly presented as icons.
- Thumbnail: Provides a small image preview of the file contents where possible. It works well for galleries of images.
Customize your layout
The available layout options depend on which layout is selected.
Appearance tab settings
Use the Class field to add custom CSS to this Widget.
Your digital workplace's CSS theme overrides other settings on this tab.
You can follow the standard Widget placement and set up steps for this Widget. You may find it helpful to leave this article open as a reference for what specific configuration settings do.
Best practices / Tips and tricks
Effective use of space
To save valuable real estate on your page or space, reduce the number of results shown in your widget and then hyperlink the folder to the Folder channel so members can access more if needed.