- Join Now
What is it?
The Desktop Client is an application created by Igloo that requires Microsoft Windows 7 or above and .NET 4.5. When installed on your computer the Desktop Client provides additional ways to work with Files in your digital workplace. Use the Desktop Client to transfer many Files from your computer to your digital workplace, or to perform inline editing of Files that are in your digital workplace. The Desktop Client follows the Access Rules set on locations and content types in your Digital Workplace.
The Desktop Client is currently on version 188.8.131.52.
Visit the Igloo Marketplace if you are interested in adding support for the Desktop Client to your digital workplace.
Features and functionality
Desktop Client application
Once installed, the Desktop Client will appear in Windows Explorer under This PC. Launch the Desktop Client by double-clicking its icon located in This PC’s section Devices and Drives. Right-clicking the Desktop Client’s entry in the Navigation Pane provides additional functionality when right-clicked. This menu includes the following options:
- Sign Out: End the current Desktop Client’s session.
- Enable/Disable Logging: Toggle whether the Desktop Client records its actions.
- Enable/Disable Automatic Reservations: Toggle whether opening a File with the Desktop Client places a reservation on the File.
- Change Community: Set what URL the Desktop Client connects to.
- Version Number: Displays the version number of the Desktop Client.
Use the Desktop Client to perform the following actions:
- Authenticate: Sign into the Desktop Client using the same method your browser experience.
- Browse your digital workplace: Browse the structure of your digital workplace by double-clicking Folders, Pages, and Spaces to navigate into them. Double-clicking Files will open them in their default application.
- Open in browser: Open Folders, Files, Pages, and Spaces in your web browser by right-clicking on them and selecting Open in Browser.
- Create New Folders: Create new Folders within Folder Channels by right-clicking inside the Desktop Client window and selecting New and then Folder.
- Move Files/Folders: Move Files and Folders into Folder Channels by copying and pasting, or by dragging and dropping.
- Save directly to a folder in the workplace: Save Files directly from an application to a Folder Channel in your digital workplace. While saving the File in your application you can navigate into the File structure of your digital workplace using the Desktop Client.
- Insert new File versions: Insert a new version of a file by right-clicking on it and then selecting the option Insert New Version. You can then browse your entire file system and select the file that will be the new version.
- Reserve a File: Reserve a File by right-clicking on it and then selecting the Reserve option. Reserving a File prevents others from adding new versions of that File. The article Document Reservation provides additional information on reserving Files.
Desktop Client inline editing
The Edit Now option appears below File previews for digital workplaces that have access to the Desktop Client. To use the Edit Now button you must also have installed the Desktop Client on your computer.
Clicking the Edit Now button will download the File and open it in the default application associated with that File type. Saving the File will automatically save a new Version of the File within your digital workplace.
A popup asking to approve the Igloo Protocol Handler DDL may appear when using Edit Now. This handler is the process that allows Edit Now to function. Approve the request to use this functionality.
The Edit Now button is only available to members that have Write Access or above on the File.
How to install the Desktop Client and connect to your workplace
1. Download the latest version of the Desktop Client (v 184.108.40.206)
2. Launch the downloaded application
A window may appear asking if you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer, select yes. You may need to Run as administrator.
4. Select where you want to install the Desktop Client
By default, the Desktop Client will install to C:\Program Files\Igloo Desktop, but you can change this location. When ready, select Install.
5. Reboot your computer
Reboot your computer after the Desktop Client has finished installing.
6. After rebooting, launch the desktop app by double clicking on it
It will be located where you installed in in step 4.
7. Enter the URL of your workplace
When prompted, enter the full URL of your workplace.
8. Enter your credentials
Your username and password will be the same as your browser experience.
How to uninstall the Desktop Client
1. Go to your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove programs menu
Search Windows for “Uninstall a Program” or “Add/Remove Programs”.
2. Locate the Igloo Desktop app in the program menu
Applications are alphabetically ordered in this list.
3. Right-click the Igloo Desktop in this menu and select Uninstall
Confirm the uninstall and wait for your computer to remove the application. You will need to restart your computer to finalize the uninstall.
Troubleshooting the Desktop Client
Desktop Client Version 220.127.116.11 introduced the ability to enable logging to help investigate issues when the need arises.
1. Open Windows File Explorer
Open Windows Explorer by pressing Windows Key + E.
2. Enable Logging
In the navigation pane that appears in the left bar of your file explorer, right-click on the Igloo Desktop icon and select Enable Logging.
3. Reproduce the actions that led to the unexpected behavior
The Desktop Client will log these actions.
4. Collect the log
Find the logs by navigating to:
How to silently install the Igloo Desktop Client
System Administrators who would like to deploy the Igloo Desktop Software in an automated fashion can do so using the /S install switch.
To test this out, from the command prompt with local Administrative privileges run:
To control what directory the desktop app will install to, you can add /D and specify the target:
igloo_desktop_app.exe /S /D=C:\test
Which will install without a UI to the C:\test directory
Bulk-adding Folders or Files to a Folder Channel
Directly copy Files and Folder from Windows to a Folder Channel in your digital workplace using the Desktop Client. Folders copied this way will contain all their contents.
1. Create a Folder Channel where you would like to add your Folders or Files
2. Navigate to this Folder Channel in the Desktop Client and leave this window open
Sign into the Desktop Client if you do not have an active session. Navigate into Pages, Spaces, and Folders by double-clicking them.
3. Open Windows File Explorer and navigate to the Folder or Files you want to copy
4. Within Windows Explorer, select and copy the Folder or Files
5. Switch back to the Desktop Client that you opened in step 3, and paste the Folder or Files copied in step 4
Dragging Files or Folders from Windows Files Explorer into the Desktop Client will also copy them.
Viewed 6,008 times