Adding Google Tag Manager to your digital workplace
Google Tag Manager provides a method of tracking information on your digital workplace using triggers and tags. You can then connect this information to an analytics dashboard such as Google Analytics.
Considerations and caveats
Who can do this
- Workplace Administrators
- Enterprise Administrators
Google Tag Manager container
This article assumes that you have already created an account and container for your digital workplace in Google Tag Manager. When making changes to your container, do not forget to publish them to make them live.
Google Analytics 4
If you have set up Google Analytics 4 as a site tag directly in your workplace, you do not need to install Google Tag Manager separately.
How to add Google Tag Manager to your digital workplace
To add Google Tag Manager to your digital workplace:
- In Google Tag Manager, go to the container that you have created for your digital workplace.
- Click Admin to view your container options.
- Click Install Google Tag Manager.
- Go to your digital workplace.
- Click the Control Panel cog () on the Userbar.
- Under Optimization, select Meta Tags.
- Paste your Global Site Tag (copied in step 7) into the provided text box. To avoid replacing any existing information, you should paste this script at the bottom of the text box.
- Click Save.
You can verify that Google Tag Manager is running on your site by:
- In Google Tag Manager, go to the Workspace of your digital workplace.
- Click Preview.
- In the Start Tag Assistant popup, enter your digital workplace's URL.
- Click Start.
The Tag Assistant will open in a new tab and your digital workplace should open in a new window.