The IT Help Desk solves many business challenges, but the biggest impact is on collaboration. Ensure your IT Help Desk Solution delivers the results you need by measuring its success using key performance indicators (KPIs). These outcomes should focus on addressing the collaboration challenges faced by IT departments when it comes to delivering technical support to your employees.
Measuring against KPIs specific to the IT Help Desk allows you to determine:
- What areas are successful at improving collaboration to deliver valuable IT support services internally?
- What areas need improvement to better support the IT department in their efforts to support internal staff with technical assistance?
- What additional goals and objectives are needed to continue success or increase the rate of success?
- What people-focused goals and objectives have helped deliver the IT support services your employees need and want?
- What information-focused goals will improve the quality and quantity of self-service support materials available to the organization?
- What process-focused goals will improve efficiencies around responding to support tickets?
Key goals and objectives
Some key goals and objectives to keep in mind when determining KPIs for your IT Help Desk include:
- Integrating seamlessly
- Increasing efficiency
- Supporting self-serve trouble-shooting
- Improving service quality
You should incorporate your IT Help Desk Solution into your existing internal business processes. Think about what processes, policies or procedures might have to change or be updated.
- Do SOPs need to be updated? (e.g. requesting IT hardware or software, submitting requests for new IT services or tools)
- Are there processes that need to change? (e.g. responding to IT support questions)
Some key areas to pay close attention to when measuring the success of your IT Help Desk include:
- Zendesk Ticketing Integration
- IT Policy Knowledge Base (KB)
- IT Experts Directory
- IT Support Forum
Below are some recommended KPIs for measuring the success of your IT Help Desk Solution. Keep in mind that some of these recommended KPIs will align with your organization's goals and objectives, while others may not. It's critical to align KPIs with your unique goals and objectives to accurately measure success.
- X% decrease in the time it takes for IT experts to respond to requests submitted through the request forum
- X% increase in the number of FAQ and "How-To" articles available in a self-serve format
- X% increase in the number of views of self-serve trouble-shooting articles
- X% reduction in the overall time employees spend solving IT issues
- Minimum of X number of self-serve articles published in the IT Help Desk within X months of the Solution's launch
- An average of X number of request tickets "resolved" each month
- X% decrease in the number of requests submitted that relate to content found in the self-serve area of the IT Help Desk
- Overall decrease in hours spent on resolving internal IT issues
Note: KPIs are generally time-based and should be evaluated and/or modified on a specific cadence (e.g. quarterly).