What is it?
The Channels widget displays a list of channels of the same type collected in the same area of the community. It allows community members to quickly and easily access the channels they want to view. It also provides a central location to download each Contact Card, making it easier to add content via email. A Channel widget can be placed on pages and spaces in your community. Blogs, Calendars, Folders, Forums, Microblogs, Tasks, and Wikis are all Channel types that can be display in the Channels widget.
Managing folder channels
If you have a Space in your community where many folders reside, or are created frequently, the Channels widget can be used to display the folders in that space, keeping them from clogging up the main navigation menu. If enabled, the space or community administrator can also use the Channels widget to add new folders, dedicated to new workgroups within the space.
Managing Calendar channels
If you have a Page in your HR Hub that displays a calendar and multiple channels for types of out of office notices (e.g., vacation day, sick day, or work from home day), the Channels widget can be used to display the channels and their color code. This makes it easy for people to identify which event is part of what calendar.
Features and functionality
The Channels widget, automatically collects and displays channels of the same type and from the same source location.
- Title - This name is displayed above the content of the widget. It can be left blank or contain up to 140 characters.
- Description - This text is displayed below the title and above the channel links.
- Channel type -The type of channel that will be displayed in the Channel widget. Channels that can be selected include: Blogs, Calendars, Folders, Forums, Microblogs, Tasks, and Wikis.
- Source - The location from which channels will be collected.
- Number of results - The maximum number of channels that will be displayed in the Channels widget. The number of channels that can be displayed range from 1-99. Results are sorted in alphabetical order.
- Links - The Show add link button is an option that allows Administrators to add additional Channels to the source location. Download channels as contact cards - adds a link next to each Channel in the Channels widget which people in your community can select to download the channel’s Contact Card. This also includes an option to download all Contact Cards for the channel.
There are currently no layout options from the Channels widget.
The Appearance tab options have their own dedicated support document. For more information, read our article: Widgets.
At the bottom of the Channels widget edit tool there are the options to Update and Cancel. Update will save and apply all changes that you have made whether they have been made in the options, layout and/or appearance tab, and then close the Channels widget edit tool. Cancel will close the Channels widget edit tool without saving and applying any changes that were made.
The contents of the Channels widget can be refreshed by selecting the curved arrow found on the title bar while in Page Edit mode.
To remove a Channels widget from your page you can select “x” on the far right sides of the title bar while in Page Edit mode. The Channels widget will be removed from the page and all settings that were associated with it will be lost.