Personas in the workplace
Today's modern workplace is all about people. Sometimes we forget that our employees are not all the same and have different needs. But the specifics of these needs often depend on the employee’s role in an organization. To truly meet the needs of the digital workplace of the future, companies must understand the unique composition of personas in their workforce – then create and prioritize initiatives accordingly.
At the highest level, there are three distinct personas in any organization, each with their own set of unique needs. We define them as the Me, the We and the Us.
The Me = employees
The We = teams
The Us = organization
These three personas are critically important to the success of any digital workplace solution. From the outset, you need to plan and architect your solution to meet their unique roles, traits, needs, and expectations.
For employees, a digital workplace is all about personalization, and how it can help them do their jobs more effectively and efficiently. Some of the key digital workplace capabilities that are important to the Me persona are:
- The ability to personalize the destination according to their role and work style
- Works with their favorite tools and role-based applications (BYOA)
- Easy to use
- Social features to connect with their peers
For teams (e.g. departments, business units, projects), the digital workplace is all about collaboration, knowledge management, and group productivity. Key digital workplace capabilities that are requirements for the We persona are:
- Suite of team collaboration abilities (project spaces; document management; shared calendars, tasks, and workflows)
- Portfolio of solutions for specific team and department challenges
- Greater team agility
- Leverage existing tech investments and ability to integrate with the apps and tools the teams are already using
- Reduce duplication of work through the ability to quickly find information and expertise, and through publishing of standard team operating procedures
At the organization level, the digital workplace is about bringing everyone together for an understanding of shared purpose. The real focus is on culture and brand. Key digital workplace capabilities that are requirements for the Us persona are:
- An inspiring corporate destination: a place where all employees feel welcome and connected, regardless of location, time zone, or language
- A place to share company vision, priorities, and KPIs
- A way for employees to build relationships with senior leaders and understand how their work is contributing to the bigger picture
- Ability to recognize employees for going above and beyond, and showcase the values and behaviors that are important to the business
- A way for employees to learn about key aspects of the business (policies, benefits, and more), and a single source of truth for company brand assets