The Newsroom is designed to solve business challenges related to communications. Ensure your Newsroom Solution delivers the results you need by measuring its success using key performance indicators (KPIs). These outcomes should focus on addressing communication challenges within your organization.
Measuring against KPIs specific to the Newsroom allows you to determine:
- What areas are successful at improving corporate communications?
- What areas need improvements to support better communication?
- What additional goals and objectives are needed to continue success or increase the rate of success?
- What people-focused goals and objectives have helped changed employee behavior, communication processes, and quality of communication?
- What information-focused goals will communicate the effectiveness of your communication programs and learning requirements?
- What process-focused goals will provide key business insights into improving or innovating activities tied to growth, productivity, and creating a competitive advantage?
Key goals and objectives
Some key goals and objectives to keep in mind when determining KPIs for your Newsroom include:
- Keeping employees informed and aligned
- Simplifying content creation and distribution
- Promoting a culture of transparency
You should incorporate your Newsroom Solution into your existing internal business processes. Think about what processes, policies or procedures might have to change or be updated.
- Do SOPs need to be updated? (e.g. broadcasting corporate news and updates)
- Are there processes that need to change? (e.g. content creation, moderation of content, archiving/deleting news articles)
Some key areas to pay close attention to when measuring the success of your Newsroom include:
- Newsroom Homepage
- The Highlights area
- Social Feeds
Below are some recommended KPIs for measuring the success of your Newsroom Solution. Keep in mind that some of these recommended KPIs will align with your organization's goals and objectives, while others may not. It's critical to align KPIs with your unique goals and objectives to accurately measure success.
- X% increase in the number of Followers of Channels pulled into the Newsroom (Recommended Channels to Follow)
- X% increase in the number of Views of articles featured on the Newsroom homepage
- X% decrease in the number of email requests for information already included in Departmental News Channel articles
- X% increase in page traffic coming from email subscriptions
- X% decrease in the number of email requests for information related to corporate news and updates
- X% increase in the number of Microblog Articles authored by Management/Executives surfaced through the Newsroom solution
- X% increase in the number of comments from Management/Executives on items features in the Newsroom
- X% of departmental "news channels" represented on the Newsroom Homepage (100% if a desire to have ALL departments represented in the Newsroom)
- Minimum of one Blog Article per month posted in the CEO Blog (depending on executive-level goals, increase the number of CEO Blog posts to one every two weeks, one per week, etc.)
Note: KPIs are generally time-based and should be evaluated and/or modified on a specific cadence (e.g. quarterly).