Testing before launch day
✔ It has a design
✔ Users have been added
✔ It is fully configured
✔ Solutions are live
✔ Content has been pre-populated
One of the last steps in the Implementation Phase is final quality assurance and testing as the best path towards an error-free launch of your digital workplace is to follow a tried and tested Quality Assurance (QA) process.
Four steps to successful digital workplace QA testing:
- Review the site map for oddities in your architecture
- Review your pages and content for consistency, UX, and breakages
- Review security and access settings for users and groups
- Review initial subscription settings for your users
Working with the Project team, a quality assurance plan is put in place to check for errors, omissions, permissions, broken links, and duplications in the site. It is the final checkpoint and opportunity to verify that all elements of your digital workplace are contributing towards the goals you set out in the Plan Stage.
Here's a checklist for working through the site review process:
- Is every link and every piece of content working on the homepage?
- Have you checked all page names and associated breadcrumbs (should be the same)?
- Are the hidden pages still needed/ should they be unhidden?
- Can I access all content (through navigation or widgets)?
- Is the whole structure logical, organized, and uncluttered?
- Have you removed all work in progress pages?
- Does the design need to be tweaked or changed to work better with the site structure?
Pages and content
- Are the pages properly laid out?
- Are they consistent?
- Are all fonts rendering as intended?
- Are there any accessibility (legibility) issues?
- Are there any broken links or missing links (widget titles)?
- Is there any missing content, imagery, or video?
- Are you employing the effective use of content labels?
- Do any widgets need a change of layout?
- Do pages and content satisfy your goals?
- Does the design need to be altered to align with the content?
Security and access
- Are site-level access and roles provided to the right users for the transition to operations?
- Are space-level access and roles setup for solutions, teams, and departments?
- Have groups been set up, without duplicates?
- Have unneeded groups been removed?
- Is SSO configured and operating as expected?
- Have your session timeout/termination settings been configured?
Notifications, subscriptions and moderation
- Have you subscribed user groups to high-priority channels and content?
- Have you set the appropriate notification frequency? (e.g. instant vs daily)
- Have you set email notifications?
- Did you review which users are in which groups?
- Have you set up a policy for notifications?
- Are specific highly sensitive channels moderated?