Analyzing web traffic within your digital workplace
Web analytics is the collection, reporting, and analysis of the web traffic within your digital workplace. These tools focus on capturing, analyzing, and reporting on user interactions when using a web browser. Some call this web traffic analysis. Digital Workplace Managers can use web analytic tools to identify trends in user behaviors and make improvements to the user experience within your digital workplace.
Be sure that you are aligning your web traffic insights, actions and conclusions to the goals and objectives outlined in your digital workplace strategy. Too often, Digital Workplace Managers assume that any increase in web traffic is a good thing, but this is not always the case. Here are just a few examples:
- The user needs to make too many clicks to find certain information.
- The site is sending out too many notifications.
- There are too many non-business conversations happening.
- There are too many duplicated conversations.
Web analytics provides Digital Workplace Managers with the key web traffic metrics to help them optimize site architecture and design:
- # of logins
- # of active users
- # of page views
- # of sessions and duration
- Bounce rate
- User flow
- Geographic breakdowns
- Understand user flow: Get data on overall traffic, the relationships between pages, and the paths people take to get where they need to do their work. Having this understanding will help you optimize your navigation and information architecture.
- Assess page quality: Review data such as time-on-page, bounce rates, and heat maps for clicks, scrolling, and user attention, to evaluate the overall quality of the individual solutions and pages you’ve configured. This information will help you make the right changes as they are needed.
- Know where and how people are engaging: Leverage analytics to learn more about your users’ geography, and what devices and browsers they’re using so you can tailor your content and how it’s delivered.
Three recommended tools
The Igloo platform easily connects with a variety of third-party web analytics tools. Below are three tools we recommend using with your digital workplace.
The Igloo platform easily connects quickly and easily with Google Analytics. This is the premier web analytics platform on the market. Within the Control Panel, you can connect your digital workplace to Google Analytics by entering the appropriate tracking code.
Google Tag Manager is a tag management system that allows you to quickly and easily update measurement codes and related code fragments collectively known as tags within your digital workplace. When Tag Manager is installed, your digital workplace will be able to communicate with the Tag Manager servers. You can then use Tag Manager's web-based user interface to set up tags, establish triggers that cause your tag to fire when certain events occur, and create variables that can be used to simplify and automate your tag configurations.
Mouseflow is an online tool that tracks clicks, mouse movement, and scroll behavior on any website including your digital workplace. Unlike other tools, it lets you make smart decisions based on user activity. Key features include:
- Heat mapping
- Session replays
- Filtering and segments