- Join Now
How to create an extranet (BP)
Many digital workplaces cater to diverse sets of stakeholders, and several, including our own Customer Care site, benefit from making information public while keeping project planning and organizing locked behind member access.
The full analysis published in March 2017, here: https://customercare.igloosoftware.com/support/community/tips/the_public_eye
Preparing your architecture for anonymous access
- Determine the purpose and scope of the extranet portion
- Set aside part of the site architecture strictly for anonymous access, acknowledging that the public will have access to everything under that item.
- Move any and all relevant content under that item, to ensure that anonymous users can find what they need.
- Decide whether anonymous users will have access to the homepage, and adjust it accordingly, using HTML widgets for non-Member access, and setting up calls to action.
- Set the anonymous user access at the top levels of those places to "View only"
Using and maintaining the extranet portion
- For sites that use public registration, have a clear path to joining and a call to action detailing the benefits of membership.
- Create a consistent flow of content, whether that's updated documentation in a knowledge base, blogging, or community collaboration in a forum.
- Set a cadence where you re-examine the value propositions of the area, and analyze the analytics with traffic and use goals in mind.
Viewed 289 times