- Join Now
Managing change management during launch (BP)
This best practice provides recommendations to help you communicate the change that is coming with the implementation of your digital workplace solution.
Change is hard. Change in business and how it's conducted, is one of the few guarantees. Adapting to new ideas and technologies is a must if your company is going to survive. You may have addressed every technical aspect of implementation and your software may be implemented successfully, but if you don’t spend some time and attention thinking about the human side of implementation, or what we call “fleshware” your project may fail in the end. People do not like change - it makes them feel a loss of control - unless it's managed and communicated well. Ensuring that you’re aware of how human beings react to change in something as important as the tools they use while they do their jobs is crucial to the success of your implementation.
Diagram: illustrates how human beings adapt to change over time.
Take these normal, human phases into consideration as you plan your
communications to manage change.
Source: Cynthia D. Scott,Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Communicate what’s coming. Communicate often, so that your employees are well prepared and get excited for the new platform. Utilize as many communication forums as feasible for your organization in the most engaging way possible.
- Communicate the Change Vision Clearly, Simply, Often and Early This is crucial. When your employees understand the vision and purpose of the change, and what the organization will achieve from implementing your new Digital Workplace, they will have time to adapt and understand how the change will benefit them.
- Highlight the Benefits and the Impacts of Change: Providing an overview of how the new Digital Workplace will affect the employees will help control the resistance to change that is common.
- Ensure your Leaders of the Organization Actively Communicate their Support of the New Digital Workplace: Leaders must convey the importance of the new Digital Workplace personally.
- Utilize Multiple Channels and Mediums to Get the Message Out: Using Audio, Video increases engagement in the message by 600%. Use videos of your CEO leading the charge, setting the example and discussing the benefits of the Digital Workplace. Use Digital Displays to share excitement, teaser videos to get people talking. Remember that people learn differently - visual learners prefer video for example. Keep your messages varied, exciting and fun!
- Create Opportunities for Dialogue: It's important that employees are able to provide feedback, ask questions and feel that they are included the decisions to create a sense of ownership and responsibility for the success of your Digital Workplace.
- Create a team of Champions: Evangelists can support you in your efforts to communicate about your new Digital Workplace. Utilize these natural leaders to lead the way, by discussing what’s coming in team meetings, and at the water cooler. Champions are indispensable to your efforts to communicate change and to spread excitement.
Viewed 489 times