- Join Now
Building your site structure (BP)
When considering your site structure you really want to ensure that it's satisfying your community goals while being logical, organized and uncluttered.
- It is best to keep your top level navigation to the most important items and nest the child pages and channels below.
- Keep the naming short and try not to exceed 5-7 top level pages/spaces, this will prevent the navigation from wrapping.
- Make sure your topics are logical and intuitive so your users have an easy navigational experience.
- Keep similar pages/spaces living together, no matter how popular or unpopular a page may be.
- When deciding whether to use a page or space determine if that area needs to be managed in any specific way.
- Should you feel that an area needs to have an administrator to monitor or manage members and content use a space otherwise a page will satisfy your needs.
- Channels should almost always be nested under a page to give the user a more visually appealing view of the content however if you feel that a channel needs to be exposed keep this under the main navigation and do not hide the channel.
- Should you find one page/space has a lot of channels under it - consider creating a second page/space to host some of that information so not to overload a page with widgets.
- The style guide, theme folder, site activity and administrator help should be kept hidden
Viewed 183 times