- Join Now
Raising security awareness (BP)
It's important to recognize that human error is the biggest challenge of any security system. Denial of Service (DoS), ransomware, data breaches, and zero-day exploit are just a few of the very real threats that can impact your employees and customers. It's more important than ever for everyone to be "security aware", understanding the types of threats, ensuring employees can recognize them and know what to do about them.
Use the following recommendations to raise security awareness within your organization using your digital workplace.
- Recruit an internal security expert to support and own efforts to raise security awareness. This individual will be your go-to subject matter expert (SME) for security-related topics. (If you have the resources, dedicate a small team of experts to manage these efforts)
- Formally launch a Security News channel to educate employees and encourage them to play a part in improving overall security.
- Create a regular cadence of security awareness articles to post on the Security News Channel.
- Focus on topics that impact the majority of employees, such as corporate physical security, cybersecurity, data security, and personal security.
- Take a "what's in it for me" approach to all communications. Go beyond the impact of security within the workplace and provide employees with knowledge that may help them be more "security aware" in their personal lives. This type of content engages employees and helps them relate to the type of information you are posting, keeping them coming back to the Security News Channel.
- Activate 'Read Tracking' for critical information posted to the Security News Channel to measure and track compliance.
- Subscribe all internal users to the Security News Channel.
- Consider your Security News channel as a first step to developing a larger Security Awareness Program.
Viewed 193 times